Closing or Changing Accounts for Consumers & Businesses
Webinar OR Recorded Webinar + Free Digital Download
Wednesday, December 19, 2018
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Pacific
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm Mountain
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm Central
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm Eastern
Financial institutions routinely open accounts for consumers and businesses and the rules for providing account disclosures, account agreements, and signature cards are well established. However, the legal and compliance issues involved with closing accounts are often more complicated. Why? Because there are wide-ranging situations, including accountholder death, suspected fraud or money laundering, disputes between account owners, and requests to levy funds. This session will address two focal areas. First will be the challenges of closing or changing consumer accounts. Second will be specific complexities regarding various ownership categories of business accounts.
- Consumer account basics
- Joint accountholder issues – who has authority to change and close an account?
- Best practices for changing signers and signature card basics
- Handling checks made payable to a deceased person
- BSA issues
- Closing an account for failing to provide required CIP documentation
- Closing an account for suspicious activity (FinCEN guidance and working with law enforcement)
- Best practices for closing consumer and business accounts and related BSA exam procedures
- Business account basics
- CIP rules for business accounts
- Opening, changing, and closing sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, and corporate accounts
- New rules for beneficial ownership began May 11, 2018, and apply to legal entity customers
- Death of a business owner and types of business ownership categories
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Account owner/authorized signer information worksheet
- New account checklist
- Checklist for CIP acceptable identification
- Federal garnishment notice form
- Account closure form letter
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
Attendance verification for CE credits provided upon request.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for new accounts representatives, call service representatives, branch managers, assistant branch managers, branch administration, deposit operations, BSA/CIP staff, and anyone who works with new accounts.
Please note: The live webinar option allows you to have one telephone connection for the audio portion and one Internet connection (from a single computer terminal) to view online visuals as the presentation is delivered. You may have as many people as you like listen from your office speaker phone.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Susan Costonis, CRCM, Compliance Consulting and Training for FIs
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer who began her career in 1978. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.
THREE REGISTRATION OPTIONS
Note: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing this webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
1. LIVE WEBINAR
The live webinar option allows you to have one internet connection from a single computer terminalYou may have as many people as you like listen and watch from your office computer. Registrants receive a website address and passcode that allows entrance to the seminar. The session will be approximately 90 minutes, including question and answer sessions. Seminar materials, including instructions, passcode, and handouts will be emailed prior to the broadcast. You will need the most-current version of Adobe Reader available free at www.adobe.com.
2. RECORDED WEBINAR + FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
Can’t attend the live webinar? This option provides a recording of the live event, including audio, visuals, and handouts. We even provide the presenter’s email address for follow-up questions. You will receive an email with the recorded webinar link, which can be viewed anytime 24/7, beginning 6 business days after the webinar. You will also receive instruction on how to download a free digital copy of the webinar to your PC, which you may keep and use indefinitely.
The recorded webinar may ONLY be ordered for 6 months following the live webinar. In addition, the download must be completed within 6 months of the live webinar date.
3. BOTH LIVE WEBINAR & RECORDED WEBINAR + FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
Options 1 and 2 described above.
AFFORDABLE, PROFESSIONAL TRAINING, WHEN AND WHERE YOU CHOOSE